THERE IS AN ORPHAN CRISIS IN UGANDA.
- There are more orphans in Uganda than anywhere else in the world — over 2.90 million children out of the 3 — due to the AIDS epidemic, extreme poverty, and decades of civil conflict. We’re on the ground in Uganda to help as many of these young people as we can. We give children safe shelter, food, clothing, education and medical care. Through us, children gain an education and the life skills they need for future success. Their lives are completely transformed.
• Close to 60% of Uganda’s population are children below the age of 18 years old. Uganda has a total population of 31.7 million people, 17.1 million are children.
- In Uganda less than 81 children are orphaned every day, that’s about one every 20 minutes. Currently, at least one in every four households in Uganda has an orphan.
• 15% of all children (2.90 million children) One third of these kids have been orphaned, or their parents are terminally ill due to HIV/AIDS have been orphaned — nearly half due to HIV / AIDS.
• Over half of Uganda’s children (8.1 million children – 51%) are either critically or moderately vulnerable, while 63% live with caregivers other than their biological parents.
•Every 30 minutes, an in orphan in Uganda ages out of the system, entering the world without a family, source of income and, in most cases, without enough education to gain employment.
•About 68 percent of boys who age out of the system have committed a crime within five years.
•About 59 percent of girls who age out of the system are involved in prostitution of some kind with five years.
•Nearly 9 percent of orphans who age out of the system eventually commit suicide.
—We are one of the few organizations that have heard the genuine “cry” and offered a genuine love to these orphan kids. Samuel’s home takes care of these kids by providing shelter, food, medical care, clothing, bedding, education, and most important – Christ’s love. Samuel’s Kids Ministry is caring for 25 kids at their orphanage with a goal of taking in more up to 100 kids this year- scratching the surface of meeting their needs, many of whom need our support.
Samuel’s Kids Ministry Uganda is driven by the belief that every child deserves to live life to its fullest potential. Children who are educated, healthy, and cared for have a greater opportunity to succeed and to improve their communities. Motivated by our Christian faith, we serve alongside the oppressed and those living in poverty as a demonstration of God’s unconditional love for all people. We give hundreds of orphans and vulnerable children a safe place to live, eat, love and learn, from age 3 all the way up to completing their secondary education, vocational training or university.